Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Easter Bunny

Here is a cute and simple little art activity my Grade 1/2 class did for Easter.  

We did a directed drawing of these whimsical bunny rabbits on paper trimmed to 7 X 12.  Then we used oil pastels for colour and outlining.  The final step was to paint around the rabbits with water color paints.


Here is the step by step, similar to my Reindeer Portraits step by step:

 Students put their non-drawing hand at the bottom of the paper and draw around their hand (not tracing their hand) to make the head shape.  They put a dot in each of the top corners.  This will help them make their ears nice and long.





 

 Using the dots as guides, student connect the dot to the top of the head making the ears. Next they draw a dot in the center of the face.


From that dot they will make 2 circular shapes beneath it.  Encourage big shapes.  They do not need to be even or symmetrical.
The final step is to add a little bump for the nose, 2 teeth, whiskers that extend outside of the head and the inner ears.









Here are a few more examples from my students:

























20 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found this. So cute! My first grade class did the reindeer at Christmas this year. I loved them! Can't wait to give the Easter Bunny a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did this today with Kinders and they turned out so cute! The kids loved making them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing that! Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  3. Wed. art lesson planned! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out my blog, A Place Called Kindergarten. We made your bunnies this week and everyone loves them. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog. Thanks so much for the great ideas. My Kindergarten kids loved drawing Easter Bunnies. You can check them out on our blog https://wpskc.wordpress.com/2015/04/14/easter-artworks/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your Reindeer and Bunny Directed Drawings. I am really looking forward to using them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bunnies are very cute! I have to try this with my kinders! Maybe first too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bunnies are very cute! I have to try this with my kinders! Maybe first too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  9. Super fun and high success for my kinders. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are really beautiful. Thank you for sharing!
    I did them with my class yesterday and they turned out SO well! I'm just about to link to them in my blog.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to hear that! And thank you for the link up! I'm just finishing up a new bunny portrait lesson. Hope to have it up early this week.

      Delete
  11. I did these last year and they were brilliant. I'm doing them again this year with my Year 1 class. I also did the Reindeer at the end of last year and they were fantastic. I love the step by step instructions, everyone can do it and have success!
    Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear you are having great success with the lessons!

      Delete
  12. I love your ideas! We did the reindeer as well in my 1st grade class and they were awesome! I am wondering what brand or type of water colors you use? They are so bright and cute and want them for my class! Also did you do watercolors or pastels for inside the ears and nose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the reindeer I actually used a watered down liquid tempura in bright green. But for the bunnies I used liquid water colors. I'm currently using Sargent Art Watercolor Magic. The bunny parts were all coloured with oil pastel.

      Delete
    2. Great thank you so much, planning on doing them tomorrow!

      Delete

LinkWithin

You May Also Like

Followers