Tuesday, 20 March 2012

Polar Bears


My Grade Ones made these cute polar bears back in February. 

Materials:
black construction paper
blue construction paper
white cartridge paper
white chalk
black and white oil pastel
black charcoal chalks (optional)

Using white chalk on black construction paper they used the sides of their chalk to rub a round shape for the head and a body.  Two smaller circles made the ears.  Students used their fingers to gently blend the chalk to remove any harsh lines that may have been created.  Black oil pastels were used to create the facial features and the inner ears.  We rubbed a little bit if charcoal under the head to create a bit of a shadow.  Then we cut our the whole polar bear shape.

 I gave each student a precut piece of white cartridge paper and showed them how to carefully tear along one of the longer ends to create our snow.  I would have used white construction paper but find the colour that the paper company calls 'white' to be extremely off-white and when placed beside the white chalk it looked more like dirty snow or slush!


We then glued our snow to the bottom of the blue construction paper.  This photo is a bit misleading as I actually got the students to glue the polar bear on first and then draw the snowflakes and wind.


The final display in the classroom was adorable!







13 comments:

  1. Our mascot is a Polar Bear. Can't wait to do this with my 4th graders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see what 4th graders could do with this project!! Best of luck!

      Delete
  2. Those are VERY sweet. I think I'll update today's post and put in a link to these.

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much!!!

      Rozana

      Delete
    2. I just saw the update. Thanks for the promo! You are wonderful!

      Delete
  3. This Polar Bear Project is amazing! You are such an inspiration to me! I am using your project this week with my firsties! Stop by this weekend..I should have pictures by then! Thank you, for allowing me to share your creativity with my kids!
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The internet has been such a wealth of inspiration for my teaching, so it touches my heart to hear than I might have done that for someone else! I can't wait to see your pictures!!!
      Roze

      Delete
  4. That's awesome! Thank you very much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today my 3rd graders created your polar bears, but we are Germans and in Germany they are called Eisbären :) Chalk was easy to get since German schools often use chalk boards even the new once like our primary school. :)
    Kids loved their work and left the classroom happily.
    Thank you for the wonderful idea and description.
    Natali

    ReplyDelete
  6. super cute! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an awesome project! I can't wait to try it with my Firsties. We will have a Polar Day in our district later this month and they would like students to send art to the show. I will have my students do these on Thursday. Thank you so much for sharing your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christmas cards sorted, thank you. I did this a couple of years ago and have been looking for it to try with my new class of seven year olds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did these with my first graders after a week of studying Artic animals and reading the book "Ice Bear". They turned out beautiful. I love how each bear had its own personality.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

You May Also Like

Followers